Monday, November 26, 2007

This is why I moved here...

I don't have any pictures to prove it, but tonight I was in the same room with 4 people I consider to be celebrities! All my newsie friends (who are also nerdy enough to become star struck at the sound of these names)...you're going to be jealous! I heard Dan Rather, David Gregory, Helen Thomas, and David Sanger reporting live from the National Press Club (well, kind of)! It was actually a taping of the Kalb Report, a forum on Journalism and Public Policy. It was exhilarating to hear a lively debate about the effectiveness of press coverage of the White House. I just love hearing how professional journalists feel about their craft! These reporters have covered presidencies dating back to JFK, and definitely know their stuff! I will say, I was most impressed by David Gregory, the current White House Correspondent for NBC. He has some great insight into the role the press plays in a post 9/11 atmosphere. He's quite articulate (as all journalists should be) but also very down to earth (which all journalists should also be). Gregory and Helen Thomas duked it out a bit when debating whether the press asked enough hard questions of the president before we entered the War in Iraq. To see the institution that is Helen Thomas sticking it to Gregory, check your local listings for the date and time that the Kalb Report "Thank You, Mr. President" airs in your area. It's definitely a good discussion. And many thanks to my friend Mike for hooking me up with a ticket...its events like this that just don't happen in Utah!

5 comments:

belle la vie- Kristen Archer said...

How much fun is that?! It sounds like you have a lot of exciting experiencs! I really want to go to New York one day, so I'll have to have you give me the 411!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I love your life. There's Kami, kicking it with Dan Rather! I want to be you!

P.S. Of course I didn't delete you! I dream of flying to DC over Presidents day or Memorial day and seeing you and Brooke! We'll see if I can rack up enough Southwest points!

Anonymous said...

It's been so much fun reading your blog. I love all the sights you are seeing, the fun you are having, and the awesome job you are working! I think at one point during the read I was living vicariously through you! So glad we have met up again!

Allison and Noah Riley said...

You are TOO (not in the too much sense; in the also sense) articulate. Nobody uses the word "prose" who isn't.

Kami - I love that you are so in love with your city and your experiences. You are definitely one to make the most of any opportunity, and I love ya for it.

Miss you!

brooke said...

I love it Kami... love it.