Tuesday, July 8, 2008

All-American Traditions

I celebrated Independence Day the All-American way-reveling in the things that make the good ole' USA great!

Here's the timeline:

7.4.08
9am-Pancake breakfast with the locals...

Notice how festive everyone looks!

5pm-Walking the National Mall, eatin hot dogs, and chattin' with friends!


9pm-Here's comes the rain...


10pm-Fireworks, Fireworks and more Fireworks!


11pm-Tabs and I running out of the metro to escape lil white guy v. large black dude fight.

11:01pm-Tabs and I running back into the metro to escape crazed roman candle girl shooting fireworks at people walking down the street.

7.5.08
1:30AM Tabbi, Wayne, Shule(bravely, sans bullet proof vest) and I board the Chinatown bus bound for NYC, baby!

Tabbi was really really excited to ride the bus!

5:30 AM! Dumped on a corner in NYC. We sat in a bus stop and waited for Starbucks to open.

6am-Good Morning Starbucks! I ordered a Cinnamon Dolce Steamer. In my early morning fog and halfway through the "steamer", I thought...this doesn't taste very good. Tabs tried it and started laughing. I guess I looked like I needed a boost so instead of skippin the espresso like I ordered, the lady went with a double shot instead. Tabbi's still laughing about this one...

We also took some time at Starbucks to get ready for the day. We didn't dare dip our toothbrushes in the bathroom sink (NYC-dirty!), so we used some good ole' American ingenuity to get the job done right at our table!


7am-Checked in at our -4 star hotel! We were upgraded to a "suite"-I'd hate to see the regular rooms.


8:07am Brunch at Sarabeth's. (Posted Hours of Operation:8am-11pm-but don't try to get in at 8-they're not open yet)-It was a delicious start to the day.


10am-A stroll through Central Park, including Strawberry Fields!!


11am-Hello Deli, Times Square, Rockefeller Center and a quick pic with the Naked Cowboy (he's dirty). It was Shule's first time in NYC, so we tried to show him all the sights!


And "fate" (as Wayne would put it) rewarded us with Jamba Juice, not once, but twice in NYC. Love, love, love JAMBA!

12pm-Escaping the rain at Rockefeller Center!


3pm-YANKEE STADIUM for the Yankees v Red Sox!!! It doesn't get much more American than a baseball rivalry! AWESOME-I love America!


We couldn't have asked for better weather-we were a little nervous the big game would be rained out or delayed. Luckily at game time, the skies cleared and we had absolutely beautiful baseball weather! Sitting with rabid Yankee and Sox fans was great...especially during the top of the 9th when the Sox (down by one) loaded the bases with no outs! There were some tense moments for Yankee fans...but Rivera pulled it out, and the Yankees won 2-1! The game set a record for most hit batters in a game-7!! Gotta love this rivalry at this stadium!


7pm-Dinner at the Carnegie Deli-our waitress was a gem (definitely an antique). She yelled at us, told us we wouldn't have enough food, etc. Perfect little slice of NYC hospitality! It's a good thing we knew going in that good food was on the menu not quality customer service!


11:30pm-Wayne, Tabbi and I finished our very long day with some Pinkberry! Yum...

7.6.08
We made it through our night in the Bate's Motel and set out to explore NYC!!!

We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge...


Ate some cupcakes from Magnolia's Bakery (food was definitely our friend in NYC)



And just took in the sights, and sounds of NYC before heading back on the bus!


Happy Birthday America!

8 comments:

Brooke said...

funny thing about baseball rivalry: in one picture you're wearing a red sox hat and in another you're wearing a yankee's hat. A true fan I can see :)

Another thing: Jamba Juice was the start of my day there... and made me love NYC just a little bit more.

I'm glad Shule survived

Mandy Campbell said...

Looks like you had tons a fun and no sleep. I miss you tons and hope to see you in August. I'm working on being home then. I have to see you it has been way to long. Have fun you look really hott!

p.s. It looks like the naked cowboy tried to cup a feel.

Team Palin said...

Kami-
Happy to see a new post. New posts help me look busy at work. Thanks
Also, NYC exceeded my expectations. Thanks again for the invite.

Anonymous said...

That is a rockin 4th of July! I'm pretty sure I need to jump on the Kami tour of NYC! That's how a holiday should be spent.
I am torn on my favorite part of your weekend. Was it the bates motel, the tooth brushing scene, or the deluctible taste only Magnolia's can offer!!

Karly & Greg Palmer said...

Thanks girl! You look like you are having tons of fun! We are leaving either at 10 pm on the 21st of august or at 5 am on the 22nd of august. We want to be back the night of the 23rd and go to the fair. I hope it all works out. Are you going back to Utah anytime soon?

Jaci said...

wow! your holiday should have made the news. i'm glad you celebrated big. you are a doll.
P.S. I'm thinking naked cowboy was digging you ;)

The Rhodes Family said...

Thanks for droppin in on our blog. That weekend sure did blow ours out of the water. You have such a fun exciting life! It seems like you’re doing just about everything and going everywhere. Way to go girl! I posted you to my blog, hope you don’t mind. I have to get me excitement somewhere, so why not east coast kami. Hope to see you soon in Utah. Tiff

amber said...

Hey girly. We are going to Blakes parents while they're on a mission. We are going to build a couple specs. Not sure yet where though. How are you? Are you cominng home for the fair???