Sunday, June 28, 2009

Being better...


I just got off the phone with an "old" friend. We've really only known each other for 3-ish years, but I'm pretty sure our souls have been friends forever! No matter how much time passes between conversations or emails, we're always on the same page...we just "get" each other. And as if having one friend like this isn't blessing enough, I met her along with 3 other girls that I equally adore. We all lived together as interns in DC...discovering a new city, embarking on our "careers" and getting our first taste of the real world. To this day, I count these girls as one of the greatest "tender mercies" that I've been blessed with. These girls are beautiful, smart, talented...way out of my league!

Over the years, I've tried to determine what makes my relationships with Melissa, Allison, Ashlee and Mindy so unique, and I've come to a few conclusions...
They see the best in me. There isn't a competitive, catty bone in any of their bodies.
They are some of my best cheerleaders. They're the first to congratulate and cheer when good things happen and the first to comfort and console when life gets rough. No matter how far I might be from the person I should be, they know what I'm capable of and treat me like I'm already there (they epitomize the Goethe quote below). They make me want to be the best Kami I can be...and I hope that I do the same for them.


"Treat a man as he is, he will remain so. Treat a man the way he can be and ought to be, and he will become as he can be and should be." -Goethe

Oh how I love these girls...its been too long since we've all gotten together (and I missed the reunion tour this past weekend) so I just wanted to let them know how much I adore them! I'm one lucky girl to have friends like these...

4 comments:

Allison and Noah Riley said...

I can't think of a way of saying how much I absolutely adore you without it sounding like a cheesy yearbook signing :). But truly, you are one of the great ones, Kami. Thank you for your example - I treasure our friendship!

kelly said...

Thanks for the quote. I've been trying to remember this with the girls lately, so you gave me a great reminder to start out our day. . .

Hope all is well in DC! We sure love having your little sister at our house every now and again. (Never often enough!)

Jaci said...

They are lucky to have you too Kami! You are so sweet.

Melissa said...

Lunch today was just too short, the weekend of course was missing two of its stars, and I had no idea between all of it that we'd been featured in your blog. :) I loved your words, and yes, you do the very same for me — make me want to be my best self. To reiterate Al's avoidance of sounding like a bad yearbook signing, I'll just say we need a repeat. Soon. We love you to pieces!