Thursday, July 16, 2009

Uses Time Wisely...


I've always prided myself on making the most of my time. In elementary school, I never had anything but "E's" for excellent in the "Uses Time Wisely" column. In high school, I totally "lived it up" my entire senior year and have some great memories and zero regrets. In college, I scheduled a summer in France, a summer in DC, an internship at a news station, and anything and everything I made a goal to do.

Lately, however, this seems to have gotten a bit more complicated. Forget a grand scheme/master plan, I can't even manage the basics of life! I feel like I'm drowning at work, I have no time to exercise, I never cook a meal (unless hitting the start button on the microwave counts...), I don't spend quality or quantity time with any of my friends or family, I haven't even cracked my GRE book, and I had to pencil in time to clean my bathroom. Sad. That's not all, I'm turning 24 soon...24!!! When did I hit my (gasp) mid-20's. All these things have me thinking...What have I accomplished in my ever increasing years on earth? Are my pursuits worthwhile? Am I productive? Am I paving the way for my dreams to come true one day? "Like sand through the hourglass...so are the days of my life." The grains of sand are slipping through fast and I don't want to wake up one day with an expired timer and nothing to show and a dirty bathroom! Good, better, best...I just don't know how to decide what's what...let's just hope 24-year olds are better (or best) at "Using Time Wisely."

7 comments:

Jaci said...

Kami you are too cute! I hope your upcoming birthday is great! 24 has never looked so good my friend! You really have made some awesome decisions in your everyday life. Sweet little Kami is brave, gorgeous, overly-intelligent, city girl now!
If you are sad over 24, think of me on my SAD quarter of a century date very close by. 25. ugh! gotta love it. It's the first time I feel old!
Can you let me know when you are coming home again?? ;)

kelly said...

you're doing better than you think.

i am learning that this is the biggest challenge of life, and am constantly analyzing how i'm doing. (which always leaves me thinking i've got room for improvement!)

ps. you are a superb writer!

Dave and KayDee said...

Kami,
You are awesome! I think it is amazing, all of the adventures you've been on. Hope you have a great birthday. Isn't it crazy how the time flies? We've been out of high school for 6 years! WOW!
Don't sweat the small stuff. :)

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

You are like one of the most successful people I know!! And two weeks into 24, I can say I highly suggest it!

I never ever feel adequate, but what can you do? Keep trying I guess!

Mandy Campbell said...

I sometimes wish I could be you! I wish I would have gotten out more in High School and wish for some of your world travels. Think of all the people you have met, all the people so lucky to know you. I get to live vicariously (is that how it's spelled) through you. I love you and miss you tons. I hope I get to see you soon!

Grmatammy said...

Hey my Kami-lou,
What is this last blog?? I can't believe you regret any thing you've done, ever!! Make sure and read the birthday cards I sent you. I am so proud of the accomplishments you've achieved in your short, fast, almost 24 years. Remember, you only regret the things you didn't do. Believe this, coming from a greatgrandma, soon to be 65! (Now that is a true "YUK"!!) I love you and wish you a Happy Birthday!! Miss you!!!

Blake and Jenn said...

Don't get so down on yourself. Honestly, I think it's amazing what you're doing and what you've accomplished! Just keep enjoying your life and continuing on different adventures. The memories and experiences you get from them aren't worth trading!!!
And, happy birthday!!