Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowmageddon Part II...


After spending last weekend stuck inside without a thing to do but twiddle my thumbs (it snows every weekend here...), I knew being cooped up during "snowmageddon" would drive me to drink (insane amounts of coca cola...nothing too risque). When the forecasters began calling for record levels of snow, I made a list of snow projects, and set out to stock up with the necessary items to complete said projects. Unfortunately for my waistline, most of my tasks involved F-O-O-D.

On Thursday night, I searched three grocery stores, Wal-Mart and Target for chicken....and four hours later walked away with the last package of frozen, fresh or pre-cooked chicken in northern Virginia....sadly, it was chicken leg quarters.
I know, they grossed me out too, but desperate times called for desperate measures. 

Seriously, imagine Christmas Eve shopping at the most popular mall times 500 and you've got the grocery stores the night before the storm. Parking lots were packed; sadly, shelves were not. It was serious pandemonium. Don't believe me? Here's proof.

Exhibit A

The Produce Department

Exhibit B

The Juice Aisle

Picture that through every grocery store in the DC area. I wish I would have taken out some stock in the local grocery chains....While the shelves were slightly bare, I was able to stock up enough to make lots of goodies...

Here's what was on the menu....

Omelette with tomato, cucumber, spinach, onions and peppers.




Homemade Tomato Basil Soup with homemade croutons and feta.



Chicken Pot Pies with Spinach Salad

Chocolate Molten Lava Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream

Roasted Pepper and Vegetable Beef Stew

Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Feta Green Beans and Garlic Roasted Red Potatoes 

We just received word of another storm headed our way this week. I think my roomie summed it up best when she said, "Seriously the snow has got to stop, I'm turning into Ruby. When all this ends I'll need my own TV show."

5 comments:

Alexis said...

Kami! I didn't know you were such a chef...all of those looked fab.

Alexis said...

Kami! I didn't know you were such a chef...all of those looked fab.

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Impressive! I don't even cook so gourmet when I CAN go to the grocery store, let alone when I have to plan in advance and wrestle old ladies for the last of the produce...

I am so, so glad you included the link to your tomato basil soup. Just the other day, Noah was craving tomato soup, but we both agreed the canned stuff is disappointing and that we should find a good homemade recipe. Ta-da! And I have ALL those ingredients in the fridge at this very moment (save the celery and the cream, but that's a quick grab... and cream is optional, yes? Did you make it with or without?)

Longest comment about soup ever.

Lindsey said...

Wow, those stores are crazy! I can't believe you were making such gourmet food in the midst of being snowed in. Pretty sure I would have made popcorn and lived off junk and coke for a week! Too bad I actually have to feed a family and cook now :) I love reading your blog and was just reminiscing and missing the good ol' days at Utah State! Hope you're able to get out soon!

Capesmom said...

I am soooo impressed! I can't believe my girl who burned peas every time she cooked them or ruined pans boiling water could make such gourmet tidbits. Way to make your mother proud!!!!!! Love miss you!