Wednesday, May 7, 2008

the burg...gettysburg

My good friend Jared "Voice like buttah" Sagers came to town last weekend...and I was lucky enough to tag along with him on some east coast touring with the Chavez fam. It was good to get some of the USU newsies back together for a bit...reminiscent of the good old jcom days!



Marques, Brooke, and Jared (and let's not forget Spuddy Buddy-Marques' little friend) picked me up on my corner, bright and early Saturday morning and we headed out to Gettysburg, PA. It's such a pretty little town, with an amazing and somber history. We followed our audio car tour from point to point (as best we could, stops 10-13 weren't that important) through the stages of the most famous Civil War battle. It was humbling to imagine the men lined up marching toward the frontlines...



We finished our Gettysburg tour at the spot where Lincoln gave his famous speech, The Gettysburg Address. It's interesting that from the crowds silent reaction to his speech Lincoln believed he'd failed at properly honoring those killed at Gettysburg, but really the crowd was just so humbled by his words.



Lots of the soldiers graves are marked only by a number on a white granite marker. They gave their lives in battle and they don't even have their names on their graves!


We continued our tour of Pennsylvania in Heaven...aka Hershey, PA. We followed the singing cows through the Hershey plant, and for some reason it dropped us off right in the Hershey store-talk about marketing!


I'm really excited about the singing cows...please ignore my excited but hideous expression.

Our Hershey tabs...
Marques and Brooke-$14 (come on people, only $7 each!)
Jared-$12 (now that's more like it!)
Kami-$20 (Stockin' up for the ride home)

We continued the adventure at the Catoctin Farmer's Market-if Marques weren't already happily married, I think he'd marry the sweet little owner. He's pretty much obsessed with her apple cider!

And to top of our day, we visited the DC Temple-always a beautiful place.







I sure am blessed to have these friends...gotta love em!

6 comments:

Jaci said...

Kami- you sure do have the greatest experiences out in the East. I'm so happy for you. I love how REAL you are. You are such a sweetheart. I'm glad you are doing so well. I hope to see you next time you are in town.
Love ya,
Jaci

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

So jealous! I want you to be my tour guide someday!

Dave and KayDee said...

Kami! I'd have to agree, so jealous! What an amazing opportunity you have to see all these places. I'm so happy you're having a good time back east! Dave and I our doing well, thanks for asking. Hope you're doing well too! :)

allegra said...

kami-
thanks for saying hello! your little life looks adventurous and fun. you are darling. the east coast rocks. hope you don't mind me checking in on your fun blog from time to time. you know tabbi? small world... saw her in one of the pics. tell her hi!!

amber said...

Girl I bet you are having so much fun! Addi misses you, and thinks you need to come see us. I hope all is well.

Marques said...

You should see the pictures of Kami snoozing in the car...classic!