Thursday, February 21, 2008

View from the Top...



Maybe it was the 300-stair climb, or the bone chilling wind and rain, but I'm pretty sure it was the amazing views from the top that took my breathe away!









I felt pretty lucky to get on top of the Capitol Dome-it requires a personal tour from someone who really is "on top" (a Senator or Representative). I tagged along with Congressman Bishop (thanks to Wayne and Shule) on a jaunt up the Capitol Dome (~180 feet). Mother Nature wasn't really cooperating. It was icy and rainy and cold, but so worth it!





Seeing the "Apotheosis of George Washington" up close and personal made me realize how impressive our Capitol really is! I can't believe HOW HIGH Brumidi was as he painted and HOW LARGE that painting really is...just crazy!

On a side note, Congressman Bishop showed us the prayer room just off from the Rotunda. The room was peaceful and had the most beautiful stained-glass window with George Washington kneeling in prayer and the words to a prayer on it. Separation of church and state? No matter what some may say, this nation is what it is because of the grace of God!

4 comments:

Marques said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaci said...

I sure do love your outlook on life. You are a gem. What an awesome opportunity!
When are you coming home again?

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Kami - what a fun opportunity! (And may I add, what a fabulous red coat. That was my Christmas request, and alas - I could not find one that fit the bill.)

Muah,
Alli

Jenny said...

Kami, What an awesome opportunity! A much better view than the one off that dorm building for ATV weather! It looks like you are having a blast and doing great things! I'm so happy and excited for you-- and proud that I can say that I was there during the beginnings of your career! :)