Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year....



My family sure knows how to ring in a new year! For as long as I can remember, my Great Grandma Rhoda, Grandma Tam, and my mom have cooked traditional Japanese cuisine, along with some more American dishes (prime rib, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc.) and invited our big family to come eat, eat, eat!



Rolling some sushi...my great grandma is an expert!


These are "brown cups." We're definitely Japanese-Americans-I have no idea what the Japanese name is. They're a tofu cup (boiled in soy sauce-hence the color) filled with rice.



Mochi is a traditional Japanese New Year food...and its basically just pounded rice. Growing up, we made our own mochi on New Year's with this nifty rice grinder. It's a lot of work for my 95 year old great grandma, so now we just pick some up at the Asian Market. Normally we put a little sugar and soy sauce on these babies but this year we added an extra topping...and they were still pretty tasty!


And these little gems are the delicacy we make all the new comers to Grandma Rhoda's house eat before they can have any other food...yummy, fragrant, Skimino (sp?). It's a pickled radish, that's an "acquired taste."


Grandma Rhoda cooked this huge prime rib...it weighs more than she does!


Everyone feeding their faces!


This is my dad...we (or my brothers) like to call him "Big Dangerous." I think he's kind of cute.

Happy New Year! 2009 is off to a tasty start for my fam!

1 comment:

Jason & Morgan said...

It's true your dad is sweet!!!. Glad that your safe and sound, miss you already. I went to the Dr. last week and they said the babe was 3 1/2lbs and going strong. Love ya Morg